Special Events Coordinator Job Description (SEC)
FLSA Status: Exempt Employment Status: full time
At the Rose City Rollers, celebrating our 19th season, we’ve been expanding our outreach within the vibrant Portland community, promoting the joys of roller derby, roller skating, and fostering connections to create memorable experiences. Under the guidance of RCR’s Events + Facility Manager, the Special Events Coordinator (SEC) will play a central role in overseeing four primary aspects of our Skatemobile program: public events, community engagement, school programs, and private parties. Beyond managing Skatemobile and private events, the SEC will also have the opportunity to learn the ropes of orchestrating RCR roller derby bouts.
We’re seeking a dynamic individual to fill the role of Special Events Coordinator (SEC). In this position, you’ll be responsible for planning and executing both private and public events, both on and off skates. We’re looking for someone with a knack for thinking big and the ability to translate those grand ideas into reality, down to the tiniest details. You’ll need to be creative when it comes to selling event packages, great at working with children, relish the active nature of operating a mobile skate rental program, and be genuinely enthusiastic about being the first point of contact for those engaging with the Rose City Rollers.
This role presents an incredible opportunity, especially for someone early in their career who is eager to learn the ropes of event management by hosting a diverse range of events in a fast-paced, unique nonprofit setting.
- Public Events featuring Skatemobile: create either one-off or ongoing roller-skating events where Skatemobile is on-site, allowing the public to pay to rent skates or bring their own, like at Secret Roller Disco.
- Community Events featuring Skatemobile: Work with community partners in hosting events where RCR’s skate rental fleet would enhance an event. Examples: Rise and Roll Roller Disco
- School Programs featuring Skatemobile: Work with partners like Active Children Portland to run after-school skating programs in underserved communities.
- Private Events featuring Skatemobile or at the Hangar: Seek out individuals and businesses to hold private skate parties, team bonding events, and other gatherings either at their location via Skatemobile or at RCR’s Hangar at Oaks Park. See the sales page on our website.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Promotion, booking, scheduling, and event oversight will be primary duties
- Create and maintain transparent budgets for each event
- Managing weekly after-school events in coordination with Active Children Portland
- Must be willing to work onsite logistics from the smallest task to overseeing the entirety of staff and event
- Plan and grow special events offsite as well as private and corporate events at RCR’s Hangar
- Work with Marketing to promote public, private, and community events
- Work with Development on additional Skatemobile funding needs and monitor grant fund spending
- Coordinate and manage paid coaches and volunteers
- Work with the Events + Facilities Manager to map out seasons and run approximately 25% of bouts.
- Work with the Events + Facilities Manager to create community events beyond the bouts, social activations
- A clean driving record and ability to drive a large box truck
- Physically able to be on your feet working 6+ hours and able to lift 25+ lbs
- Experience building out new programming
- Experience in organizing one-off and repeat events
- A passion for the details via project management tools, paperwork, and IRL
- Experience working with and managing volunteers is helpful
- Basic understanding of budgets
- Tech savvy – able to research, implement, and manage tech systems for managing events
- Desire to enrich the lives of youth
- Fantastic with the general public
- Ability to pass a background check
- Commitment to the RCR mission
Work Schedule: 40 hrs./wk—Full-time, exempt. Work often happens on weekends and evenings. Outside activities and meetings, work is done from a home office M-F, 10-3.
Compensation: $43,000-$50,000 salary based on experience, reviewed annually, plus comprehensive benefits worth over $13,000. Benefits encompass 100% employer-covered medical and vision, 50% covered dental; paid vacation and sick time; flexible schedule; monthly tech stipend; merchandise discounts; free skating membership; and Oregon Saves Retirement participation.
Applications open: 10/17-10/26
Phone interviews: 11/9
Zoom Interviews: 11/13
Start date: 11/15